When you become a member of Black Writers Collective, you gain access to a plethora of benefits. We offer two membership levels for writers and free membership for readers. Scholarships are also available (reopening in 2021).
Critique Group Meetings
We host live critique sessions throughout the month to discuss members’ works-in-progress. Members share thoughtful feedback to help each other to improve their writing and become stronger writers.
We Help End Isolation
Our legacy of bringing together Black writers online for networking and fellowship is why we were first formed. We give you a convenient space with an easy-to-use mobile app to meet and share insights, experience and dreams with peers—fellow writers who will understand the writing process and keep you inspired.
We Set & Share Monthly Writing Goals
Being with other writers as we set writing goals and work toward achieving them is among the most powerful motivation there is for you to get focused, find the time, and make the work happen.
We Help Hold Each Other Accountable
We plan together, we write together, we finish together. At the start of each month we share our goals and intentions for the coming month as well as our progress and accomplishments for the month behind us. We’ll hold you accountable, challenge you, and motivate you through “The End” of writing project after project, and we’ll cheer you on and celebrate your successes with you.
We Connect You With Talented Editors
There’s nothing quite like having a professional editor with an innate understanding of your voice, who speaks the same language you speak, in all of its varied nuances. We’ve built a network of such editors, skilled in all types of editing, book analysis, and proofreading, to make it easier for you to find your editor.
There’s More…Much More
There’s so much more, but we’ll let you see for yourself. Join today and be part of our tribe.
In a nutshell, our memberships offer you:
- a global community of like-minded creatives who understand your goals as well as your challenges
- virtual meetings with themed discussions, open mic poetry, and prose readings
- writing challenges and sprints
- encouragement and guidance from fellow writers through our daily writing accountability group or coordinating your own accountability partnerships
- private critique groups where you can learn from each other and take your writing craft to the next level
- access to our digital library of ebooks and audio recordings on topics such as plotting, character development, getting started as a writer, going from self-published to bestseller, pitching your manuscript to editors and agents, and many others
- calls for submissions, manuscripts, speakers, contests, and events plus BWC-sponsored contests
- online webinars and workshops
- book promotional support through our members’ bookshelf
Members will also be able to participate in writers’ events and travel club excursions across the Americas, the Caribbean, and around the globe with fellow writers, such as our upcoming writers’ retreat in June 2021.